Every week after all of the games have concluded, the staff at the Student Section will team with writers from other Bloguin sites to publish a Top 25 poll. Here’s what our poll looks like now that week one is in the books.
|1||Ohio State (7)||175|
|Others receiving votes: Wisconsin 18, Oklahoma State 16, Arizona 15, Mississippi State 13, Arizona State 11, Tennessee 9, Temple 9, Houston 7, Louisville 2, Minnesota 1|
|Voters: Bart Doan, Terry Johnson, Kevin Causey, Kevin McGuire, Scott King, Ryan Palencer, and Andy Coppens.|
Notes and Observations
- While Managing Editor Matt Zemek will vote in the poll, he will not cast a ballot until November.
- Ohio State was a unanimous choice at No. 1.
- Our voters were clearly impressed with Alabama’s win as the Crimson Tide jumped TCU to move up to No. 2.
- By virtue of its decisive win over Arizona State, Texas A&M made the biggest jump among previously ranked teams this week, vaulting itself up to No. 14.
- Northwestern was the biggest surprise of this week, vaulting itself all the way to 23, after finishing the preseason outside of the top 50.
- Utah, BYU, and West Virginia also moved into the top 25 with impressive season openers.
- Even though Arizona and Oklahoma State won, they both dropped out of the poll this week.
- Stanford suffered the most disappointing loss of the opening weekend, failing to receive a vote after debuting at No. 13 in the preseason.